How to crackle your Annie Sloan paint AND make coloured waxes......

Home » , » How to crackle your Annie Sloan paint AND make coloured waxes......
  Hey gorgeous,

Are you gearing yourself up for the 
Paint, Please link party 
NEXT Friday? 

I want to see how paint has transformed 
your house, garden and furniture.....
You'll be able to come over and link up 
so that we can all have a good ogle at your loveliness.
{I've put the button for the party on my sidebar if you'd like one}

Extremely excitingly, I'm guest posting at 
Janell's House of Fifty blog this week, 
and also at the ever-so-gorgeous 
Do pop by and say hi if you have a moment...
and if you've come over from there then
*squeeze* 
I'm so pleased you could make it.
Grab a seat, and join in!

Now have I got a cracker of a post for you today.....

Annie Sloan's Paints are magic.
Don't believe me?

Let me show you how to create a gorgeously antiqued look
...without the need for crackle glaze.


Paint on a THICK layer of the colour of your choice. 
{I used Paris Grey}
Don't spread the paint out. 


Then turn on your magic
 ...and most unexpected....tool: 
your hairdryer.
And cook that paint!!

Keep blowing in gentle circles over the paint 
and in a short time the paint will begin to crack.
Yes, crack!


And you'll begin to smile.
It's real magic.

No crackle glaze needed.

When the cracking has finished, 
and the paint has dried,
it can be waxed to protect it. 

Here's the second amazing part of the post. 
Did you know you can create 
COLOURED waxes?
{Any opportunity for a bit of Rainbow Writing} 
Yup, you can.

Here's how:

Just smear on a bit of Annie Sloan clear wax 
and add a daub of one of the Chalk Paints, 
{I chose a touch of Provence}
and rub over your paint for extra depth.

And, yes, I know that the wax is oil-based 
and the paint is water paint but what can I tell you?
They mix perfectly.
Magic paints, I tell you.


When you're happy with the final colour, 
you can start with the dark wax. 
This is definitely a case for showing the need for the dark wax 
because it highlights the cracks in the paint absolutely brilliantly.

Just rub it in gently and then wipe off any excess.
{The layer of clear wax underneath makes it 
easy-peasy to create exactly the effect you want}

And here's my finished sample board.


See how the dark wax nestles in the crevices?
Isn't it incredible?

Now, I feel it's time for a bit of real life painting action.
Next week, I'll take you through step by step 
how I painted our dining room table.

This week, I'm aware that I've whizzed through a lot of information.
Next week, I'll be slowing riiiiiight down.
If you're a newbie at painting furniture then DON'T worry one jot. 

Each step will be clearly and slowly explained.
{If you have a specific question then do let me know.}

I was looking for a site that explained things for absolute beginners 
and struggled to find one that didn't make me feel intimidated. 
So I hope to create that here.

The Beginner's Guide to Painting Furniture 
starts at Modern Country Style next week.
Bring along your piece of furniture that needs a little love, 
or cupboard doors that need a hug. 

Paint along with me.
And feel the magic for yourself.


0 comments:

Post a Comment