Beginner's Guide To Painting Furniture Part 1

Home » » Beginner's Guide To Painting Furniture Part 1

Welcome to Part 1 of 
My Beginner's Guide 
To Painting Furniture. 

Ooh, and I've had an extra idea for Friday.
If you have a piece that you'd like advice on,
why not link up to my 
Paint, Please link party 
this Friday, 
{button on the sidebar}
which is for letting us ogle 
your very favourite paint projects
{potential or real}:

room redos, 
favourite colours,
painted furniture
.....and anything you'd like advice or help with. 

When I started out painting furniture, 
I felt so intimidated by the information that was out there. 
I just didn't know where to begin.
So I didn't begin at all.

I wanted a site  that explained things 
for absolute beginners and struggled to find one.

I hope to create that here.

My aim is to make it as:

EASY,
ENJOYABLE and
USER-FRIENDLY
AS POSSIBLE.


So let's begin right at the start.
What's the point of painting furniture?

The point is that you end up with a piece 
that is completely and utterly yours. 
No one anywhere will have a piece like it. 
Your heart will swell with pride when 
you admire your beautiful handiwork.

It can be hard to visualise what a piece will look like 
when the colour of the existing piece is right up in your face.


Three words to help you find what will look good painted:
shape, shape, shape.

You need to look for pieces that have a lovely shape. 
It doesn't matter what the shape is but you have to LOVE it!
But all I see here is orange varnish...uugh.
So why not get rid of the colour element? 
Take a photo of your piece 
IN BLACK AND WHITE.


It makes it so much easier to get a feel 
for what it will look like in a different colour. 
{See what I mean?}

This extending solid oak dining table is the piece 
I've picked out to walk you through the process.  

The top is covered in peeling varnish.
{Nice}


The curved edge is laminated chip board. 
{Hmmmm}


The future wasn't looking good for this piece 
but I can see past that using my black and white photo technique.
The shape shines out.


Nice legs, eh?
I think it's worth rescuing.

Find out how tomorrow...

0 comments:

Post a Comment