Home-Made Vintage: Box File

Home » , » Home-Made Vintage: Box File
In Which I Am Once Again Let Loose

Remember my book review of Hand Made Vintage
by Cabbages and Roses' Christina Strutt?
Remember I said I was going to make a couple of the
projects from in there to put it through it's paces?
Here's the bit I love.
The bit where I put the book I reviewed,
through the wringer.


As you know,
books can so easily lure you in,
all seductive and saucy,
but I want to know is there substance
behind the sirenic sweetness?

Can it rock the rumba?
Or will it fudge the foxtrot?


These are some of life's big questions, I know,
 and I'm prepared to take them on on your behalf.
In the name of human decency, you understand.
{I know what you're thinking: I'm nothing but a giver.....}

And here's the thing.
The only way a book can be reeeeeeeeeally
tested thoroughly is by actually
making the projects in the book.
Agreed?

So my second project for your viewing pleasure is this:


A delicious fabric-covered box file.
To have my very own would be
scaling the dizzy heights of
sophistication in my eyes.


So my first step, as always, 
was to pick out the fabrics I wanted to use. 

 And, oh me, oh my,
let me pick out
some of their
g o r g e o u s
linens.

Um. Yes, pleeeeeease!
I chose the utterly romantic 


Perfect for Modern Country Style.

Now let's get down to the nitty-gritty.
How did the making of the box file go?

 
Step 1: The Measuring
All measuring was simple because of its boxy shape.
If you want to increase your crafty-confidence and get to grips with textiles,
without venturing down the sewing path then this project is for you.


Step 2: Cutting out the pieces.
There was, mercifully, no photocopying to 200% for this project. I bought a box file and use its measurements to cut out the required fabric. 


Step 2: Gluing
Getting spray adhesive in your eye stings like billy-o.
Ummmm, yeah.
But still, that stuff is magic, man.
Spray adhesive is officially my new best friend.

  
Step 3: The ribbon
I picked out some pretty blue-grey ribbon, with cream stitching to tie in with the cream of the fabric. Both the ribbon and the Raspberry French Toile have a beautiful Modern Country feel - gorgeous without being fussy.

  
Step 4: Adding the Mount
I wouldn't have thought of doing this but it's details like this that bring Home-Made Vintage to the top of my crafting list.
It takes the look from provincial to pro.


The verdict.....
Having my own box file covered with such
lusciousness makes me feel like a
Domestic Goddess
every time I set my eyes on it.
Surprisingly easy to produce
a really fabulous end product.

Now, what to store in my snazzy new box file?
I'm thinking French.
I'm thinking antique.


Boogie on by on Friday and see what I mean...  



Images 4 and 5 Cabbages and Roses, otherwise mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment