Home-Made Vintage: Bucket Bag

Home » , , » Home-Made Vintage: Bucket Bag
 In Which I Am Let Loose In Cabbages and Roses heaven.

Hey peeps,


Here's the part I've been super-looking forward to.
The bit where I put the book I reviewed on Monday,
through its paces.


It's all very well a book looking all
wanton and foxy and tempting,
but does it deliver the goods?
Can it hit the high notes?
Will it dance the fandago?

Big questions for any craft book.
And here's the thing.
I reckon they can only be thoroughly answered by actually
making the projects in the book.

The only way.

So that's what I propose to do.
I've picked a few of the crafts
from Home-Made Vintage
and I'll be sharing them here.
Yes, just for you.

The first project I've picked out is this:

The Bucket Bag.
(photo from Vintage Home)


I've been enchanted with its
beautiful bucket-y loveliness.
Simple. Elegant. Classy.
{Umm, yeah, no brainer, I'll make it.}

Now, the most important thing with any project is fabric.
Fabric. Fabric. Fabric.
So important.
 And, guess what?
let me pick out
some of their
g o r g e o u s
linens.

*huge squeal of delight*

After a lot of umming and aahing,
like a little girl let loose in a sweet shop,
I chose the utterly romantic 
for the outer
...and the echo-of-a-deckchair 
for the lining.
Both perfect for English Modern Country Style.
Now let's get down to the nitty-gritty.
How did the making of the bag go?


Step 1: Cutting out the pieces.
Once I'd got over the significant hurdle of photocopying
the pattern to 200% larger, it was plain sailing.
Lovely easy shapes to get snippy with.


Step 2: Pinning.
To be honest, I was so in love with the fabrics,
that even this was a joy.
{Am I the only one who's bored stiff by pinning?}
  

Step 3: Sewing.
Once the pins were all in place, this was really easy.
Like beginner-beginner easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy easy.
Are you getting how simple this would be for you to make?

As long as you take extra care
when matching seams, it'll all be hunky dory.
  

Step 4: Pressing.
Your iron truly-ruly is your best friend when it
comes to getting a good finish on projects.
 Pressing makes a gimungous difference.
Even fairly basic sewing can be made to look
Harrods-best with a bit of pressing.

The verdict.....
True bag love.
It's perfection.

I'm thrilled with
the shape
and style
and look
and feel
of My Bucket Bag.

It's even reversible,
which the pattern doesn't let on.

It was like a delicious secret
waiting to be discovered
as a reward for finishing.

So I can have a Hatley bag, with a Jolly Stripe lining.
Or a Jolly Stripe bag, with a Hatley lining.


Even Mr Modern Country approves.
And that's really something.
Bags aren't his bag,
if you know what I'm saying.
 
My Bucket Bag is gorgeous for a few bits and bobs
to pop down to the Farmers Market on my bike,
but equally as gorgeous with a lippy, purse 
and phone for a night out with the girlies.
That's Modern Country Style!

But my favourite use of all?
Well, you'll have to wait until Friday for the big reveal.

Let's just leave it at this for now...

  


I'll be linking with my favourite parties in the sidebar...

0 comments:

Post a Comment