What Is Modern Country Style Part 1: Colour

Home » » What Is Modern Country Style Part 1: Colour

Hey cutie,

I'm entering the Cosmo blog awards...
under 'Lifestyle Blogs'....
if you enjoy my blog,
please would you consider voting for me?

All you have to do is go here and fill a couple of details.....

So many people have asked me to try and define Modern Country Style that I thought I'd do a proper series on it...just for you.....
but please remember this is only *my* take on it all....
I'd love to hear your thoughts....


{Before I start,
It's open until next Monday......}

To me, Modern Country Style is more about a way of life than just being a specific look. Not limited, by any means, to those living the rural idyll, the Modern Country ethos is all about taking the very best of Traditional Country, the warmth and comfort, the appreciation of hand-made crafts, and combining with the best of what Modern life has to offer.

A bit of background......

We moved out of London to an Edwardian house nestled in a small Market Town in the Cotswolds. I'm sure you've gathered that our home needs a huge amount of renovating but by adding the right pieces and choosing the palette with care, we're able, in stages, to create a Modern Country look that I adore. 
Homely and relaxed.


Step 1: Use of Colour

Probably the most prominent marker of the Modern Country look is the delicious yet delicate use of colour. Think of and be inspired by winter seascapes: the gentle grey-blue-greens of a rough sea and the browns, greys and off-whites of smooth stones on a pebble beach sum up this palette beautifully. Yet it needn't look bland. By adding the odd touch of a stronger colour, in my case, I've chosen cherry red accents, a gorgeous surprise element is added. 


Just as important is the way in which colour is used. No fussy details are needed. Simple blocks of colour, highlighted by the crisp, sharp contrast of soft white woodwork. 


Our dining room is a perfect case in point. Painted a gentle, creamy green-grey, it provides a serene backdrop to one of our main living areas....perfect for a serene backdrop to not-so-serene family meal-times! 


On Friday, I'll be sharing my personal Holy Grail 
in Modern Country Style: Part 2..... 
creating a stylish look 
that works for a family.



0 comments:

Post a Comment